Green Visa

Are you looking for the Green Visa?


The UAE’s Green visa is a type of residence visa, that allows its holder to sponsor himself/herself for 5 years, eliminating the need of a UAE national or employer to sponsor his/her visa.

Benefits of Green visa

The Green visa provides more benefits to family members, compared to the regular residence visa. Benefits include:

  • getting residence permits easily for family members, including spouse, children and first-degree relatives
  • the ability to sponsor their male children up to 25 years (previously 18 years), with no age limit for unmarried daughters
  • children of determination (those with special needs) are granted a residence permit, regardless of their age
  • longer flexible grace periods that reach up to 6 months to stay in the UAE after the residence permit is cancelled or has expired.

The residency of family members will be the same as that of the original residence visa holder.

Who can apply for a Green visa?

1.    New Residence Types with Unparalleled Benefits.

A new 5-year residence track has been introduced to attract talents, professionals, freelancers, investors, and entrepreneurs. Further, more benefits have been added to facilitate family members’ residences and extended grace periods of between 6 months and 12 months to stay in the country after the residence permit has been cancelled or expired and simplify and facilitate all the residence requirements.

2.    Green Residence for Skilled Employee.

Without an employer or sponsor, skilled employees can apply for residency in this new track for five years. As per the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization, applicants must hold a valid employment contract and be classified at the first, second, or third occupational level. Additional requirements include a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and a salary of at least AED 15,000.

Summary of Documents Required:

  • have a valid employment contract
  • be classified in the first, second or third occupational level as per Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation
  • hold a minimum of bachelor’s degree or equivalent
  • have a salary of not less than AED 15,000.
3.    Green Residence for Freelancing and Self-Employment.

Individuals who qualify for this track receive a 5-year residency in the UAE without being sponsored or employed. To work as a freelancer or self-employed, you must obtain a permit from the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization. An undergraduate degree or specialized diploma is the minimum educational requirement. In addition, the applicant should have earned AED360,000 in self-employment over the past two years.

Summary of Documents Required:

  • a freelance/self-employment permit from Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation
  • proof of a bachelor’s degree or specialised diploma
  • evidence of annual income from self-employment for the previous two years for an amount not less than AED 360,000, or prove financial solvency throughout their stay in the UAE.
4.    Green Residence for Investor or Partner.

The Green visa for investors is given to investors establishing or participating in commercial activities. This replaces the prior residence, which was valid for two years only. Investment verification is required. Several licenses will be added together—benefits for Family members. Families can benefit from the new system with residence permits issued more quickly to spouses and children.

  • Summary of Documents Required:
  • approval of the investment and proof of investment (If the investor/partner has more than one licence, the total invested capital will be calculated.)
  • approval of the competent local authorities.

Sponsored children (primarily male) must now be 25 years old (18), and unmarried daughters are no longer restricted by age. In addition, determined children may obtain a visa regardless of their age. Residents with Green visas can grant residence permits to their immediate family members. A family member’s residence shall be based on the validity period of the original residence holder in all cases.

Contact us for free consultation